Flood Warning Areas.
Environment Agency Launches New Flood Warning areas
The Environment Agency has recently developed new flood
warning areas for the Cheshire Area.
These areas include the River Weaver at Nantwich, Lakeside View, River Bollin and Agden Brook at Little Bollington, Rivacre Brook at Great Sutton, River Weaver at Pickerings Bridge and River Bollin at Heatley.
Homeowners and businesses within the above areas may
be eligible to sign up to Floodline Warnings Direct (FWD)
which is a free government service that gives you advance warning
of flooding in your area.
This is by an automated message sent to your phone, text message, email, pager or fax. The Environment Agency is urging homes and businesses in the above areas to check whether they are eligible for this service and to sign up for the free Floodline Warnings Direct service.
To find out if you’re at risk of flooding and if you can receive
these warnings call Floodline on 0845 988 1188
or visit www.environment-agency.gov.uk/floodnorthwest
Information is also available on the Environment Agency’s website at www.environment-agency.gov.uk/flood.
There are lots of ways that you can prepare for flooding.
• Sign up for free warnings by calling floodline on 0845 988 1188.
• Check your insurance cover.
• Know how to turn off your gas, electricity and water mains supplies.
• Prepare a flood kit of essential items. This should include:
- important documents, such as insurance information
- a torch with spare batteries
- a wind-up or battery radio
- warm waterproof clothing and blankets
- a first aid kit and prescription medication
- bottled water and non-perishable foods
- baby food and baby care items
- a list of important contact numbers
- wellington boots
• Use flood protection equipment such as plastic covers to seal airbricks.
• Agree how you and your family will contact each other if there is a flood.
• Keep your valuable and sentimental items on the first floor or
on the top shelf of a cupboard.
• Think about what you would want to move to safety during a flood, such as pets, cars and electrical equipment