Is your home safe?

Recent gas explosions in Manchester, Cheshire and Cumbria have highlighted the need for residents to be mindful of safety and be prepared for winter.

The gas explosion flattened four terraced homes in Merlin Road, Irlam, Salford, Greater Manchester. The devastating effects of the explosion were clear to see. gas

Gas safety at home

A poorly-maintained gas appliance can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and as we have seen, explosions.  Learn more about the symptoms of this and how to prevent it. Find out what your rights and responsibilities for gas safety are as a tenant, landlord or homeowner.


For details on how to keep safe visit NHS Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

Gas Emergency Services

0800 111 999 (This is a 24 hour emergency line)gas explosion

If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, please call the free Gas Emergency Services emergency line immediately on 0800 111 999.

Also;

• Open all doors and windows to ventilate the property.
• Do not turn on/off any naked electrical switches.
• Extinguish all naked flames, do not smoke, strike matches or do anything which could
   cause ignition.
• If there are any electrical security entry phones/locks, please open door manually